Friday 9 October 2009

Becoming a child again...




Who is more free? The adult or the child?

The child is more free.

A child can do, say, wear, act, whatever he/she wants without caring about what other people think or say. They can act silly, they can be honest, they can pull up their pants high, and go about their lives unaffected by what people think. They don't worry if there is chocolate smudged all over their face. Or if there's something in their hair (that should not be there).

This is real freedom. Freedom to be who they are. But as they grow up, most of them lose that freedom because we (adults) teach them that they should care what other people think. And they become caged like most us are.

How many of us will dare do a silly dance in public just for fun? We give up a lot of freedom for something called "respect".

Of course I am in no way suggesting that children should not be taught to respect and be considerate.

But they should not be robbed of their freedom.

It's going to be hard...but I'm going to try to become a child again.

To look at life from a bigger point of view. At the end of the day, would it matter if I cared about how people think I should dress or look or behave? How are their concerns going to benefit me? Will it bring me more joy?

I don't think so.

Matthew 18:1-4
At this time the disciples came to Jesus and said, 'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?'
So he called a little child to him whom he set among them. Then he said, 'In truth I tell you, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.


2 comments:

  1. Yes the child is more free. I like your application of that scripture. Be free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew 18:1-4 is such a meaning verse. I teach primary school children, and I can see how free they are. Except sometimes we have to stop them and teach them respect like you say.

    Thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete